Auslan at Brighton

Hello, my name is Kylee Haar, this is my 9th year at Brighton Primary teaching Auslan. I have a Cert IV qualification in Auslan which I completed at Tafe SA. I am continually seeking opportunities which I can further my understanding, knowledge and fluency by seeking opportunities to communicate with other Auslan users within the Deaf community.

Hearing Awareness Week is in term 1 and is Australia’s annual event to raise community awareness of hearing impairment and ways to protect your hearing. During this week we will discuss how the ear works and preventative methods to protect your hearing.

All year levels will be learning a new Auslan version of the National Anthem this year, which is vastly different than the version used in the past. This version was created by Auslan Stage Left in collaboration with the Deaf community and adapted by Brighton Primary School students and staff. I am very excited to both learn and teach this new version to the Brighton Primary Community.

Reception – Students are becoming familiar with Auslan, including the introduction of letter recognition and basic vocabulary. Some cultural aspects of Auslan will be discussed.

Years 1-7 – Student focus will mainly consist of revision of the previous year’s learning with the introduction of new vocab and grammatical structure later in the term. This may be delivered through games, song, and discussion, affording all students opportunities to practice Auslan in different scenarios.

The curriculum will be built on the desires to communicate and interact particularly around topics that are familiar.