It is with great pleasure that I can announce that Brighton Primary Schools $5M Building Better School’s redevelopment, has been given approval to be initiated immediately. This is a huge coup for our school considering that all High Schools have priority for building redevelopments, with all year 7 students moving to secondary campuses as from 2022.
In essence we will undertake the following:
- Construction of a 6-8 classroom facility, including (hopefully)a 5 station fully functioning kitchen, to be built on the area immediately east of the school hall.
- Upgrade of LA 2 to match LA1
- Demolition of LA 4 and 5 and landscaping, to incorporate a green space similar to what currently exists adjacent to the Hall.
- Upgrade of the Front Office area.
- Construction of a COLA (covered outdoor learning area) on the volleyball courts.
- New signage throughout the school
Now this of course is dependent on just how far $5M will stretch. I am meeting with the project manager this week, with 2 members of Governing Council (Stewart, Chairperson of our Facilities Committee and Simon,GC Chairperson ) -it will be important to have staff representation and also input from our wider community and of course student input. This will be organised in the very near future.
The building company involved are from Victoria and the construct will be a modular design-they come to us as highly regarded, very time efficient, with a quality product. Stewart, Simon and I will be traveling to Victoria in the very near future to visit a range of schools who have undertaken similar re builds. The timeline is an optimist’s dream-DfE predicts occupancy by this time next year!
Lots of questions no doubt-I will keep our school community well informed, as I always try to do.