Keeping Kids Safe at Home

This is my first post of this type, with many more to come.

As a parent myself, and even though I work in ICT, I constantly find myself battling to keep my kids safe in the online world.

Approximately 12 months ago I looked into home filtering packages.  I had a short list of key criteria;

• Manage all devices regardless of operating system
  • Customise filtering where appropriate
  • Timed control of what the kids can do

Two key products stood out, Family Zone and Disney Circle. I ended up choosing Family Zone and have been extremely happy with the product.  I have complete control over what my kids can see and do, and when they can do it.  I even opted in on the app, and can still control my kids iPhones and iPads when they are outside the home.

Without the app it is simply a case of plugging in the new router from Family Zone to your existing router.  It then broadcasts its own WIFI connection that you connect your kids devices to, not forgetting to make them forget the other WIFI connection.  From there all control is done from the Family Zone website or the Family Zone Parent app.

There are four categories that you can control, Gaming Mode, School Mode, Study Mode, Night Mode.  For each child you can set sites and applications on and off in each of these categories and then schedule the automatic assignment of the relevant category.  However, you don’t need to do this from a blank canvas, there is a default setting applied out of the box based on the kid’s age, you customise to suit your choices.

Adam.

*** The information presented here is general information, and should not be taken as personal advice. This information is not intended to be an endorsement of any specific products. ***

Posted Under

One thought on “Keeping Kids Safe at Home