The Arts at Brighton PS

Visual Arts and Drama

Hello, my name is Rachel Snewin and I am one of the Arts Educators at Brighton Primary School. This is my 12th year at Brighton and my 7th year teaching the Arts. During my first 5 years at BPS I worked in junior primary. I also have experience teaching in the United Kingdom, in Indigenous schools, R-7 Physical Education and EALD children.

In the studio my lessons focus on visual arts and drama, singing and dancing are also incorporated at times especially with the junior primary classes.

Learning in Visual Arts involves students making and responding to artworks drawing on the world as a source of ideas. Visual Art uses visual arts elements, concepts, processes and forms (both 2D and 3D) to express ideas, considering particular audiences and particular purposes, through images and objects.

The learning in Drama involves students making, performing, analyzing and responding to drama, drawing on human experiences as a source of ideas. Drama uses dramatic elements and conventions to express ideas, considering particular audiences and particular purposes, through dramatic action based on real or imagined events.

Specific art skills and knowledge are taught to enhance the ability and understanding of all children and hopefully encourage them to have a positive life long relationship with the Arts.

The lessons are usually structured to value add with what is happening in the children’s home classes.

For example if a science topic was learning about living things, I would try to stretch their learning through an Art lens. This may be in the form of showing understanding and interpretation through mime, storytelling or dance-or a sculpture, print, painting, drawing etc.

The first 2 weeks of school focus a lot on building relationships and getting to know all about the individual. In Art the children worked in small groups in Drama miming holiday news with a group of people they may not have known very well –but all the children took risks performing in front of an audience and were Brave to participate.

Our names, part of who we are –our identity- were created with salt, pipettes and dye.

Finally taking risks in our learning –we all had the same instructions but what evolved was totally different-that’s okay in Art-every child is an artist-art is unique.

Art has the role in Education of helping children become like themselves instead of more like everyone else. Sydney Gurewitz Clemens

Term 1 is a fabulous time to be exploring Adelaide with so many Arts festivals at our doorstep.

We have just had the Brighton Jetty Sculptures in our backyard-wow.

The FRINGE which runs from February 15th until 17th March has many shows specifically targeted at children and many are free. The link will take you to the e program page and if you filter genre and tick children-a list of available shows will appear.

The Adelaide Festival 1st March-17th March also has programs/sessions for children and I noticed one which coincides with Writers Week on March 2nd at Nest Studio that looks great for children on King William Road-and its free!

Also WOMAD in March really supports children in the ARTS.

The Studio is located in Learning Area 2 ,Room 12.

Please feel free to visit this learning space and I would love any of the community who have skills in the ARTS who would like to share them with us to come and have a chat. I can be contacted via email Rachel.Snewin741@schools.sa.edu.au .

Creativity is intelligence having fun.-Albert Einstein

2 thoughts on “The Arts at Brighton PS

1. Hi Caroline,thank you for bringing this to my attention,what a fantastic idea.I will definitively put that in the diary for Term 4.Thanks again 🎨

2. Hi Rachel – Are the kids going to have the opportunity to participate in the kids sculptures exhibition as part of the Brighton sculptures in 2020? It would be a great opportunity to showcase young local talent. Thanks