Community Concern

I have been approached by traders whose premises face Brighton Road, with their carpark immediately behind their businesses. They are very  concerned about use of their carpark. This is particularly the case for the Salvation Army volunteers, who are elderly and find it extremely difficult to access the car park when coming to undertake their volunteer duties-especially in the morning, prior to school starting. With the completion of the new sports complex carparks coming close to finishing, can I ask that our parents utilise other parking spaces that do not infringe on our adjoining businesses.

Ian

10 thoughts on “Community Concern

1. again this all comes down to everyone wanting to take the quickest & easiest option & park directly outside the school gates. Give yourselves another 5 minutes & park in Lascelles or sunshine avenue & enjoy a little walk with your child/children (weather permitting of course). Then as you walk down Highet you can watch everyone else fight for parks & park illegally!😊 the boom gate was put in for this type of reason.

2. Thanks Christie, really appreciated. These were the empty trucks arriving to collect the spoil/earth from the new area they were excavating. It gets very scary. Thankfully most drivers are very courteous but the kids move very quickly.

1. Hi Christie, I just though I would pass on that at 8:45AM today (03/09) I witnessed a large semi entering Highett Ave from Brighton Road, heading to collect spoil etc. or deliver product to the site. It is a bit frustrating that this continues to occur. The street was packed with kids and cars. Thanks

3. This morning I saw 4 large semi trailers associated with the development at the Oval travelling East along Highet Avenue from Brighton Road at 8:45AM. This poses a significant safety risk to students given the traffic volume associated with drop off. It is highly recommended that the school contact the Holdfast Bay Council project manager for this Oval Redevelopment and request that no large vehicles associated with the development enter Highet Ave during school start and finish times, say 8:30AM to 9AM and 3PM to 3:30PM. This is not an imposition to the project and can be scheduled accordingly, it is simply good project management. Please advise the status of this request.

1. I completely agree with you Leonie. The restriction, and therefore pressure, placed on Highet road due to trucks and machinery impacts the safety of students and parents during drop off and pick up. Leadership, including myself have spoken to workers directly to move vehicles and the council about this issue. When I spoke to council myself recently I was assured that any significant deliveries of stock or materials would be made outside school drop off and pick up times. I appreciate that you have brought this to our attention and I will follow it up again with council.

4. Given that I have written to the Brighton Redevelopment head who showed no concern for parents parking im not sure what parents are meant to do. Coupled with closing off of multiple spaces on the road, absolutely no traffic management and forcing pedestrians onto the middle of the road during drop off and pick up, i would be encouraging the businesses to take their complaints to them, not the school

1. Thank you Simon. Whilst we acknowledge that it is challenging to park with the current redevelopment we hope that on completion this should be eased.

5. As Vinnies doesn’t open until after 10 am I think the parking problem has more to do with the gym and pilates clients than parents who use the car park to safely drop their children to school for half an hour between 8.30 and 9.00 am

1. I tend to agree with Ann-Marie I am now at a loss as to where to park legally and safely to drop off and collect my child it is frustrating and really makes life very difficult. I understand an alternative isn’t far away but that is also not really parking that is for parents of the school and I am concerned that we will also eventually be shut out of there to.